Friday, July 16, 2010

Ireland Cricket - What needs to be done?

Ireland cricket team managed to make an impact over the last 3 years. In 2007, they knocked out Pakistan and beat Bangladesh in the super 8 phase out of nowhere. To be quite honest, before 2007 I was not totally sure if Ireland could knock out Pakistan. Somehow and someway, they got the job done.

Ireland cricket team is one of the next candidates to get the test status in my opinion. I think it will not be a bad idea to give Ireland a full time ODI status. To me, Ireland should not be considered as an associate cricket nation; to me they are on the same level as Zimbabwe.

I think Ireland cricket board should make sure that their players do not play for other countries. Eoin Morgan and Ed Joyce (both of them are Irish) decided to play for England instead of Ireland, which is certainly a blow for Ireland cricket and it does not set a good example for the upcoming Irish cricketers. If Morgan and Joyce plays for Ireland, I have a feeling they can be a better cricket team and who knows maybe they can upset giants on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment